The venerable Italian brand Brionvega thinks the 60s and 70s are worth bringing back, or that at least some of the design sensibilities of the era warrant new life. The classic, groundbreaking Radiofonografio, divined in 1965 by two of the three Castiglioni brothers, Pier Giacomo and Achille, is making a new entrance as RR226. In 1965, the 'musical component robot' was a home electronic marvel that in one sleekly designed device included a radio, amplifiers and a record player (for both 45s and 33s).
The modernized model has also a CD and DVD players but otherwise it is as close as possible to the original. The amplifiers are moveable which makes it possible to create different configurations both for visual and listening pleasure. Showcased at the Salone del Mobile in Milan in April, RR226 may be a while coming to a store near you. But like so many of the Castiglioni brothers' objects, still produced and/or displayed by Zanotta, Flos, Artemide and MoMA, the Radiofonografio is most likely going to stay with us for yet another long period. - Tuija Seipell
Thursday, September 22, 2011
Thursday, August 25, 2011
Originally, a landmark literally meant a geographic feature used by explorers and others to find their way back or through an area.
Now, a landmark includes anything that is easily recognizable, such as a monument or a building, or any other spot to designate places that might be of interest to tourists.
A few examples are the Statue of Liberty, Uluru, the Taj Mahal, Mount Everest, and the Eiffel Tower.
When we see one of those, everyone knows in which part of the world they are located.
Here are 50 landmarks for you to recognize. Are you ready for a trip around the world? Oh, and in case you want to see more, check out 50 More of the most Important Landmarks of the World – Part 2
Blue-domed Church in Santorini
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Monday, August 22, 2011
The jaguar c-x75 concept car brings a racing mentality to an electric car. the car was unveiled at the
2010 paris motor show to celebrate the company’s 75th anniversary. the car has four separate electric
motors located at each wheel delivering 196 horsepower each. these engines are run on batteries that
are powered by two micro-gas turbines. the jaguar engineers estimate that the car could reach
205 mph with a driving range of 560 miles.
Wherever you look, there's a scene worth capturing on film and framing; Plitvice, the best known of Croatia's national parks, is a paradise of lakes and waterfalls. With its range of habitats and microclimates, it is also a haven for wildlife.
In recent years, Croatia has changed from a relative unknown to one of the trendiest destinations in Europe. To a great extent this is due to the country's rocky littoral, which, washed by the Adriatic, is considered one of the most beautiful of the Mediterranean coastlines. Then there is the rich history and cultural heritage of medieval towns such as Dubrovnik, Split and Sibenik. But the well-deserved popularity also depends on the protected natural areas, which make up some ten per cent of the country's area. Eight areas enjoy national park status – a very high number for a relatively small country. Of these, Plitvice is the best known. It owes its fame to the 16 lakes of crystal clear water in all shades of green, grey and blue linked by nearly a hundred tumbling cascades, as well as to the dense forests of beech, fir and pines where bears and wolves roam, and which are home to a great variety of birds. Plitvice is classed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and a network of trails allows visitors to roam freely and explore. If you're a lover of nature, take a look at our gallery and see if it appeals for your next getaway.
Very interesting collection of optical illusions.
1. It’s a simple one. How many pencils are there? There are clearly seven… what, wait! Six? No.. So how many?
2. Close your left eye and stare at the cross. As the circle moves left and right, it should pass through your blind spot and disappear completely! You may need to lean in closer to get this to work.
Sunday, August 21, 2011
Saturday, August 20, 2011
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Just as Jack says, "On deck, you scabrous dogs," to the very left edge of the screen over Jack's shoulder is a grip crew member with a tan cowboy hat, white short sleeve tee shirt and sunglasses, just standing there looking out to sea. (Picture)
Friday, August 19, 2011
Interviewing actors and filmmakers can be a difficult job when you consider the odds that are stacked against you. Are they in a good mood? Have they done a lot of interviews today? Do they even feel like talking about their latest film right now? Those questions all make you wonder what will happen when you sit down with the next star, but then, not everyone is like Colin Farrell.
I would love if you guys had a look at this blog: Blogyourselfonline
“Do you have something on your mind? Something you need to tell the world?
Maybe it’s a great idea. Maybe it’s a debate you want to start. Maybe you want to thank someone, for something special they’ve done for a group of people, animals and what not.
But you need a platform to do it!
You need someone to actually read what you have written.
Blogyourselfonline is that platform. The world has TONS of exellent bloggers, who blog regularly and thereby can keep up a steady reading crowd. What the world also has, is a lot of exellent point of views, from people who can write great blog posts – but they don’t have the time or means to do so.
This is where Blogyourselfonline can help. All the blog posts on this blog is written by guest bloggers, and thereby creating a central spot of the internet for free minded people to exchange thoughts, opnions, ideas etc. This is your chance to get YOUR word out!
How to express yourself on Blogyourselfonline:
- Write an short essay about what you want to tell the world. This will be your blog entry.
- The entry should be at least 200 words.
- The entry must be understandable – Good spelling, and decent grammatics required.
- No set topic – you can write about whatever you want to! However, entries containing topics found to be unethical may be rejected. (Racist or other similar hate etc.)
- Youre entry contains the essay and a picture of yourself, or something that relates to your essay.
- Mail the essay to: firstname.lastname@example.org “
Clocks don’t just have to be clocks you know….
1. Sanyo Turntable Clock
Created by Pixelthis using a recycled Sanyo turntable and a Ronco’s Greatest Hits album titled “Get It On” which is replaceable.
Click “Read More” for more original clocks!
“I wish I could still hang a towel from my penis”
We're hesitant to tell anybody about the USB Computer Prankster, but since most of us work from home here [Ed. Note: Thanks, Lee], and thus aren't afraid of this thing being used on us, we'll just selfishly throw the rest of you to the wolves. While this little doohickey might appear to be a run-of-the-mill USBdrive, it's far more insidious. Those little switches on the side don't merely engage the Caps Lock function, keyboard, or mouse, but rather make them go totally haywire.
Thursday, August 18, 2011
[Note: This list of Einstein quotes was being forwarded around the Internet in e-mail, so I decided to put it on my web page. I'm afraid I can't vouch for its authenticity, tell you where it came from, who compiled the list, who Kevin Harris is, or anything like that. Still, the quotes are interesting and enlightening.]
- "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
- "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
I’m especially fond of the guy in the oil pump, who’s smoking.
Let's face it: More often that not, public transportation is a hassle. Crowded spaces, no seats, weird smells. You know the drill.
This, I just HAD to share with you. The official website of Tim Burton is THE singlemost awesome website out there.
The artwork speaks for itself, but the way you get to interact with the site like a computer game is amazing.
Have a go, and steer Stain Boy through the gallery at www.timburton.com/
A great initiative by the National Geographic Channel with the concept of rebuilding the house of the film Up (The Top) studio Pixar. Conducted a launch from a field of Los Angeles, with more than 300 helium balloonsand a house.
Developing good habits is the basic of personal development and growth. Everything we do is the result of a habit that was previously taught to us. Unfortunately, not all the habits that we have are good, that’s why we are constantly trying to improve.
The following is a list of 30 practical habits that can make a huge difference in your life.
You should treat this list as a reference, and implement just one habit per month. This way you will have the time to fully absorb each of them, while still seeing significant improvements each month.
- Exercise 30 minutes every day. Especially if you don’t do much movement while working, it’s essential that you get some daily exercise. 30 minutes every day are the minimum recommended for optimal health.
- Eat breakfast every day. Breakfast is the more important meal of the day, yet so many people skip it. Personally, I like to eat a couple of toasts in the morning along with a fruit beverage.
- Sleep 8 hours. Sleep deprivation is never a good idea. You may think that you are gaining time by sleeping less, when in reality you are only gaining stress and tiredness. 8 hours are a good number of hours for most people, along with an optional 20 minutes nap after lunch.
- Avoid snacking between meals. Snacking between meals is the best way to gain weight. If you are hungry, eat something concrete. Otherwise don’t. Update: for clarification, I mean don’t eat junk food between meals, but eating real food it’s ok.
- Eat five portions of fruits and vegetables every day. Our body and brain loves getting vegetables and fruit, so I highly recommend eating as much of them as possible. Five portions is the dose that’s usually recommended by many health associations.
- Eat fish. Fish is rich of omega 3 and other healthy elements. At least one meal per week of fish should be enough for getting all these nutrients.
- Drink one glass of water when you wake up. When you wake up, your body is dehydrated and needs liquid. Make the habit of drinking one glass of water after you wake up in the morning. Also, drink more during the day.
- Avoid soda. Soda is often one of the most unhealthy beverage you can find. Limit your consumption of soda as much as possible and you’re body will be grateful for that.
- Keep your body clean. I don’t advise spending your day in front of the mirror, but a minimum of personal care does never hurt.
- If you smoke, stop it. There’s no reason to smoke anymore, and quitting is possible.
- If you drink, stop it. Same as above. Don’t think that alcohol will solve your problems. It never does. The only exception is one glass of wine per day during meals.
- Take the stairs. This is just a hack that forces you to do a minimum of exercise. Instead of taking the elevator, take the stairs.
The following is a "healthy food hot list" consisting of the 29 food that will give you the biggest nutritional bang for you caloric buck, as well as decrease your risk for deadly illnesses like cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Along with each description is a suggestion as to how to incorporate these power-foods into your diet. If you're searching for more tipson healthier living, take a direct approach to your health and wellness by customizing your individual health insurance needs.
The Power: Beta-carotene, which helps prevent free-radical damage and protect the eyes. The body also turns beta-carotene into vitamin A, which may help ward off some cancers, especially of the skin. One apricot has 17 calories, 0 fat, 1 gram of fiber. Snacks on them dried, or if you prefer fresh, buy when still firm; once they soften, they lose nutrients.
The Power: Oleic acid, an unsaturated fat that helps lower overall cholesterol and raise levels of HDL, plus a good dose of fiber. One slice has 81 calories, 8 grams of fat and 3 grams of fiber. Try a few slices instead of mayonnaise to dress up your next burger.
If you set your mind to it you can have just about anything, and as many peoples dreams are to have the perfect car. Everyone’s dream car is different, and this man wanted to cruise the vard in his stylin’ Porsche, but either he’s on a budget or he just like to exercise and conserve gas, ambition can be a dangerous thing as he’s made his own Homemade Porsche!
Reported Liverpool target is not for sale at the Britannia Stadium
Shawcross: Dalglish is thought to want the centre-back
Tony Pulis maintains Stoke are under no pressure to sell captain Ryan Shawcross, despite speculation Liverpool want to sign the defender.
Spaniard sets minimum requirement of return to the top four
Reina: Reiterated his commitment after interest from Arsenal and United
Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina knows it is essential to secure a return to the UEFA Champions League as the club's current squad aim to follow in the footsteps of their legendary predecessors.
I've always rejected the idea that standup comedy is useful as merely a stepping stone to other things (movies, a sitcom, writing gigs). In my opinion, it’s as noble a final destination as any other. That’s what made Seinfeld documentary Comedian so refreshing to watch — a legendary, insanely-wealthy comic heading enthusiastically back into the standup fray, while a virtual no-name claws and screams as he tries to escape it.
That’s not to say that a successful standup shouldn’t venture out into other areas. Obviously, comedians should explore the creative impulse in any direction they feel drawn. But while doing this, many comedians lose their way. And, when that happens, standup seems to be exactly what’s needed to help them escape a growing catalog of mediocre work and reconnect with what made them funny in the first place.
Here are a few comedians that are overdue for a return to the stage:
They can be helpful
They protect our children
They help you when you're down
They are great at decorating for the Holidays
They have "great" expectations
They are Patriotic
They are happy to "test" the water
They love their "teddies"
They know who's "BOSS"